Friday, July 14, 2017

Lets call it SNA Jr version 2.8 for now

I have been trying to get a 3.2" TFT 8 bit parallel interface display working with the STM-32 board, but have had several problems.  So I decided to temporarily go with the Nano version, and a 2.8"  display with a SPI interface.  I had much of this working previously, so that part should go along quickly.  The previous board had a lot of additional circuitry on board that had been giving me problems.  I did a simple layout with just the Nano , display with simple voltage divider level translation, Ad8307 log detector, and a Adafruit SI351 board.  I usually make my own boards, but saw an offer from a Chinese board house that I wanted to try.  The board layout was under the 10 x 10 cm. size they had on special, 10 boards for $5 plus about $14 for postage.  At less than $2 per board, I decided to place the order.   Generated a set of Gerber files, uploaded them to their web site and placed the order.  Three days later I got an e-mail notifying me that the boards had been completed and were being mailed that day.  It has been about a week now, so expect them to show up some time late this week.  

While waiting on them, I decided to work on the packaging I wanted to use.  I had designed several 2 piece clam-shell type boxes that 3D printed quite well.  I changed the overall size ,and added cutouts for the display and joystick.  I was also able to design in mounting posts for these components, and added a bezel for the display.  It took a couple minor design changes and test prints to get everything exactly as I wanted it. 

It is still a lot easier than making a design on paper, transferring to  a box, then drilling and cutting out all the holes. Then you hope you have everything right, or you might have to start over with another box.  



I like being able to just do the design, send over to the printer, and in a few hours grab it off the printer sitting next to my desk.  The wife also likes the fact that I do not have metal filings all over the place anymore.




1 comment:

  1. As usual it looks interesting. I'm waiting for more ;-) 73

    ReplyDelete